Presently stranded, the two Greeley little girls by the by got back to Chappaqua in the late spring of 1873. They were joined by their more seasoned cousin, Cecilia Cleveland, and her mom. Cecilia later composed a journal of that late spring where she praised the delights of the house, with its city conveniences and nation setting. It was where one could “dream away a whole morning”, one she would not like to leave toward the finish of the period for the busier city. Her account portrays the rise of an early rural way of life, one that planned to proceed with all over Westchester County during the following many years. At the point when the Greeleys had come to Chappaqua twenty years sooner, they were for all intents and purposes alone in living thusly. From that point forward others had found it, and Westchester had become a late spring suburb.
After that mid year was finished, Ida and Gabrielle moved into Hillside House. In 1875, the “House in the Woods” burned to the ground, quickly before Ida wedded. After seven years, she died. In 1890, Hillside House likewise burned to the ground, leaving the old farmhouse the just one of Horace Greeley’s three Chappaqua homes standing. After two years, Gabrielle Greeley and her better half, The Rev. Candid Glendenin, minister of St. Peter’s Episcopal Church in Manhattan, employed Ralph Adams Cram to redesign Rehoboth into a house. It got one of the focuses of the inexorably more rural local area’s social life. cbddy
Right off the bat in the new century, the Glendenins started separating the homestead. By 1900 the first railroad station (a couple hundred feet north of the current station’s foundation) was not, at this point sufficient for the developing local area’s necessities. Gabrielle settled a disagreement about where to find another station by giving area on the southwest corner of the ranch that was utilized to develop another station, opened in 1902 and now itself recorded on the National Register. She specified that the zone before it be left as a recreation center to respect her father.
A year thereafter, the Glendenin’s little girl Muriel passed on at five years old. They appointed modeler Morgan O’Brien to construct a commemoration house of prayer to her dependent on a middle age English church, Saint Mary the Virgin, outside London. It was finished in 1906 on the 4-section of land (1.6 ha) bundle where her dad had held his mission outing more than 40 years sooner. After eight years the remembrance model to Horace Greeley was introduced in the little park opposite the train station; in 1916 the Glendenins moved the sanctuary to the Episcopal Diocese of New York, again for certain specifications, including one that they and their kids be covered behind the church.